The number of women imprisoned for unintentional crimes in Iran has been doubled this year.
“95% of these women are jailed for writing checks (without credit in the bank) or for accepting warranty for others. The remaining 5 percent are those arrested for accidents occurred at the workplace which they did not afford to pay the blood money,” the executive manager of the Iranian Blood Money Headquarters, Assadollah Jowlaii, announced.
He added that with 44 women, Fars Province (southern Iran) had the highest number of female prisoners for unintentional crimes, and is followed by Gilan Province (northern Iran) with 23 women, Mazandaran (northern Iran) 22 women, and Isfahan (central Iran) with 14 women.
Most of these women are heads of household without any decent jobs or social support who have ended up in financial straits. (The state-ran Tasnim news agency – October 7, 2017)