Based on the results of the 2011 census announced by the State Statistic Organization, 12 percent of the 21,110,481 families in the country are managed by single-mothers whereas the number was 6.5 percent for the preliminary figures. This result shows a double in the 2011 number and the Head of the State Statistic Organization predicts the number will increase to 15 percent during the next three years.
Thirty five percent of single-mothers have husbands and the rest are alone. Other figures show, 26 percent of women aged bellow 35 are divorced. (State-run Fars News Agency- Apr. 1, 2014)
Eighty-two percent of single-mothers are unemployed
Based on conducted census, from the 2,500,000 single-mothers living in the country, only 18 percent are employed and the remaining 82 percent are unemployed. Considering that the figures are based on three age regiments of bellow 35, 35-65 and older than 65, the head of the Statistic Organization stressed: “Statistics show that the higher number of single-mothers are middle aged.”
Average income of $341.550 a year for single-mothers
The average income of a single-mother is said to be 9 billion and 900 million rials (about $341.550) which raises great concern because 81 percent of women in deprived areas are illiterate and the number of children they have is high.
Women’s low employment, proof of discrimination against them
The deputy chair in Women and Family Affairs, Shahindokht Mollaverdi believes that the low number of employed single-mothers is an evidence of inequality in employment and says, “As single-mothers bear the difficulties in their lives solely on their own, they could face physical and psychological problems in the long term.
(State-run Fars News Agency- Apr. 1, 2014)