Currently there are many women behind bars because of their Baha’i beliefs. They are deprived of their basic human rights and are constantly harassed or insulted by security agents. The names of some of these victims are provided in this short report:
– Fariba Kamal Abadi is a senior member of the Baha’i Society. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison seven years ago. Ms. Kamal Abadi is currently detained in the women’s ward of Tehran’s notorious Evin Prison and she has been deprived of any leave to this day.
– Mahvash Sabet is a member of the Baha’i Society board of directors. She was first arrested in 2005 and convicted to 20 years in jail. She is also detained in the women’s ward in Evin Prison.
– Neva and Nika Kholusi, two Baha’i sisters who were arrested by intelligence agents in Mashhad on April 25, 2012. They were sentenced to four and a half and six years behind bars, respectively.
– Nasim Bagheri is a Baha’i citizen arrested on April 27, 2014. She was sentenced for acts against national security and convicted to four years prison. Bagheri is a professor of an Internet university.
– Susan Tabianian, a Baha’i citizen, was detained on May 31, 2014 by security agents. She has been sentenced to one year prison for conducting an interview with foreign media.
– Azar Toluie, a Baha’i citizen was arrested by security forces in May 2011 along with 20 other Baha’i citizens. They were all sentenced to a total of 58 years prison.
– Faran Hesami was arrested on September 14, 2011 and held in ward 209 of Evin Prison for 77 days. She was a graduate from Canada’s Ottawa University. Prior to that she worked as an online professor.
– Elham Farahani (Naimi) is a Baha’i citizen living in Tehran. She was arrested along with her son, Shamim Naimi on 11 May and transferred to Evin Prison.
– Shabnam Mottahed, a Baha’i citizen living in Yazd, was sentenced to two years and one year suspended conviction.
– Farim Farzandi was arrested for holding a Baha’i New Year ceremony.
– Fariba Ashtari, a resident of Yazd, was sentenced to two years in jail and one year suspended conviction. She was condemned on charges of acts against national security and propaganda against the system.
– Sonia Ahmadi was arrested and is in prison for her membership in a Baha’i organization and taking action against national security.
– Farah Baghi has been in detention ever since 20 February of this year.