A woman named Sara M. was executed in Mashhad Prison. The execution was announced in the state media on January 14, 2020.
In 2016, Sara M. was sent to prison at the age of 32. The execution was carried out at Mashhad Central Prison last week. The 35-year-old was executed after spending three years in prison on death row. The official state media have not yet announced the exact date of the execution. (The state-run Rokna news agency – January 14, 2020)
With this execution, the total number of women executed during Rouhani’s tenure reaches 104. This is the first execution of women in 2020 which has been announced in the state media. In 2019, the mullahs’ regime hanged 16 women in tandem with increasing suppression and executions in Iran. In the three weeks of December 2019, alone, six women were executed by the regime in various Iranian prisons.
- Somayyeh Shahbazi Jahrouii, December 4, 2019, Sepidar Prison of Ahvaz
- Fatemeh Ghezel Safarlou, December 4, 2019, Gohardasht Prison of Karaj
- Nargess o-Sadat Tabaii, December 4, 2019, Gohardasht Prison of Karaj
- Maryam, December 8, 2019, Central Prison of Mashhad
- Fatemeh R., December 9, 2019, Gohardasht Prison of Karaj
- Eshrat Nazari, December 18, 2019, Gohardasht Prison of Karaj
Iran holds the world’s record of top executioner of women. As a consequence of the clerical regime’s failure to categorize deliberate murders according to their degrees, anyone committing murder is sentenced to death, regardless of their motives. Many of the women convicted of murder in Iran are themselves victims of violence against women and have committed murder in self-defense. The trials and sentences issued are grossly unfair.
Many women are currently awaiting execution in prison. Some of these women are being held in Qarchak Prison on the death row. These women are mostly mothers and have several children.